Pages

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Diaper shame..

One of the things I have been thinking about lately is why are so many people so ashamed of diapers?

Personally I am very happy as a diaper wearer, and I don't see anything wrong about it in any way shape or form. But I am an exception.

The shame of diapers come from early childhood. As a baby is is ok, and in fact considered very cute to see babies in diapers. We take pictures of our babies in diapers and display them proudly. But 4 years later, the diaper... the symbol of cuteness for a baby becomes a symbol of pure and utter shame for the young child.

Maybe it is because mom is tired of dealing with diapers and forces the kid out of them (sometimes too early). Diapers becomes something only babies wear.. and 3-4 year old children are NOT allowed to be babies. Children tend to be extremely cruel to anything they see as not-mainstream. Children then tell each other how bad it is to be wearing diapers, even though a lot of them are still wearing diapers! But they develop this mindset, diapers are bad, at such an early age.

at around age 5-6 diapers are strictly forbidden. The ultimate shame!! It is the blunt end of jokes and teasing... and that is accepted and enforced as normal behavior for children

I can't image what an incontinent child of 5-6 goes through, but I am sure it is hell. Anybody who still wears diapers at that age is obviously a failure...

well this shame continues throughout adulthood

and even as a lot of people 'loose control' and begin to need wearing diapers in their adult life, they are extremely shameful. They are too embarrassed to buy diapers in the store. They want the diaper to be as thin and quiet as can be... because all hell will break loose if they are discovered. Adult diapers still continue to be the blunt end of shameful jokes..



Well I don't like this shame at all

I am a diaper wearer, and I am not ashamed of it. It happened and the best thing I could do was to make the best of it. Of course I did it by taking the AB route. Not only did it save me a lot of money, it made me the happiest little baby girl ever.

And what is so shameful about returning to the time when you were your cutest, everybody adored you, and you were taken care of? Nothing! It is pure joy. I am so lucky that I discovered this happiness

In fact the first thing i did when i started bedwetting was to tell my friends. They were more than happy to help me! They told me how wonderful It would be for me to be a baby again. They were right!

how is that shameful?
it isn't, and adults who wear diapers don't need to feel ashamed. and children shouldn't push shame on other children who wear diapers!

that is my soap box for today

happy bunny snuggles!!

3 comments:

  1. Greetings. I heartily concur with your statements. I can say that my life as a severely enuretic child would not have been as hellish as it was at times if my parents would have used diapers as a coping strategy rather than a constant threat of punishment and ultimate humiliation, one which I secretly longed for anyway. I wonder how it is for children raised in cultures that practice elimination comunication, where this problem hopefully doesn't exist. Have a pleasant day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh dear! I am sorry! I forgot that i had to approve your comment! I guess i need to do that more often!!
    anyway, I don't know of anywhere where it is "ok" to wear diapers... parents just push shame shame shame

    it is sad.. but I guess we have our own way of making it special. That is all that really matters

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greetings. No worries, figured either you were busy or maybe bunny kidnapped you or something. My computer's been giving me hell, so I haven't been doing much in terms of comments and the like. On one hand, I wish I had grown up in a culture of elimination communication or diaper-free as some call it, but on the other I wouldn't have found such a huge source of comfort and bliss had I been raised in that way. It's a huge part of my life, always has been, and without it I'd be incomplete. It comes and goes, but when it's not there I get depressed and angry more easily. Anyway, on to the next comment. These days most services require the blog admin to aprove comments due to so much spam and inappropriate language and conduct. It's annoying, but the intentions are good. By the way, I would personally be very interested to read of your transition from the US to a culture so different from ours. How was adaptation to a collectivist culture with completely different concepts of space, relationship to authority and other things? My intercultural communication training is waring off I suppose. Have a pleasant day.

    ReplyDelete